Curly Hair Treatment
Curly and wavy hair is not easy to manage. However, once you learn how to take care of them, it looks very stylish. One thing is for sure, there is no one formula that fits all. Everyone has a unique hair structure and what works for one may not work for the other. So, unfortunately, you have to experiment a bit to figure out what works for you. However, do not worry, it is not too hard to figure this out. One of the ways you might be able to manage your curly or wavy hair is by applying a hair mask. Here, I will share one simple recipe that works very well. You can tweak it a bit to suit your needs. The following are the problems this hair mask will help with:
- Dry and coarse hair.
- Frizzy hair.
- Breaking of hair.
- Dandruff & itchy scalp.
- Aging of hair and scalp.
- Damaged hair (usually due to using too many chemical treatments).
- ¼ cup raw honey
- ¼ cup of coconut oil.
- ¼ cup plant oil such as Avocado Oil or Olive Oil.
- If your hair is extremely dry, try to use Olive Oil. Remember, Olive oil is very heavy for hair and may weigh it down. Therefore, only use it if you have extremely dry hair.
- One tablespoonful of White Kaolin Clay (this ingredient is optional).
- Pour the honey and oil in an empty bowl.
- Stir well to combine.
- Apply the mixture from step 2 to damp hair.
- Leave on for 15 to 30 minutes.
- Shampoo your hair. Make sure you use a good leave-in conditioner after this. You can look at the leave-in conditioner that I made. It took me over one year to come up with this light as a feather hair leave-in conditioner.
- Honey helps to seal the moisture in your hair. This keeps the hair conditioned and shiny. Proper hair conditioning helps to strengthen hair which reduces breakage.
- Honey is also rich in antioxidants and contains minerals and vitamins, which helps to prevent damage to hair and scalp.
- Honey is well known for its antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties. This may help to soothe the scalp and in treating conditions like dandruff or eczema.
Note: Honey based mask is especially good for people with naturally curly hair, wavy hair, or dry hair.
- Olive oil is high in antioxidants which helps to prevent damage and aging of hair and scalp.
- Olive oil is high in oil-soluble vitamins and is very moisturizing which helps to keep the scalp and hair soft and nourished.
Note: Olive oil as a conditioner is not for all types of hair. Thick, Dry, coarse hair is probably the only type of hair that benefits from it.
- Avocado oil is lighter than olive oil but still is highly moisturizing to hair.
- Avocado oil helps to reduce dandruff and prevents hair breakage.
- Avocado oil also contains oil-soluble vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants. Its unique properties help in detangling hair and also helps to reverse the damage caused by the chemical treatments.
- Coconut oil has a high affinity for hair proteins and is able to penetrate inside the hair shaft, thereby helping in quickly moisturizing and nourishing your hair.
- Coconut oil has the ability to prevent and reverse damage to your hair that is caused by sun exposure and styling hair products.
White Kaolin Clay:
- This clay helps to cleanse your hair and scalp without causing dryness. It has the ability to soothe the scalp, help treat dandruff, strengthens hair, reduces frizz, and helps to repair damaged hair.